How To Switch To Google Public DNS In Windows?
Your local Internet Service Provider (ISP)might not have the fastest DNS servers that slows down your browsing speed. Often we find ourselves stuck into pages like Facebook are not loading or similar issues. So it’s time to change your DNS to the best possible DNS available in the market i.e. Google Public DNS.
When people ask us to help them with their DNS configuration, we often point them to different DNS Lookup Tools. But there is something that we can do at our own also with just a little manual work, we will discuss it later.
WHY DNS MATTERS?
The Domain Name System (DNS) protocol is an important part of the web’s infrastructure. It serves like internet’s phonebook. Whenever we search for any website our computer performs a DNS lookup. In complex websites our computer has to do multiple lookups. That’s DNS of your connection has to be good so that it can perform fast.
ADVANTAGES OF USING GOOGLE PUBLIC DNS
- IT IS VERY FAST
Google has their own public DNS service available on a global anycast network that provides all of the advantages of anycast for the queries made to them. An anycast network provides speed boost to your computer allows you to browse very fast.
- GOOGLE PUBLIC DNS PROVIDES INCREASED SECURITY
One of the bigger problem is that local public DNS servers can be used in Denial of Service and Amplification attacks by making a small query which returns a large response. Google has taken care of the common attacks.
- RIGHT ANSWER TO EVERY QUERY
Why we suggest customer to switch Google Public DNS because their network is set to improperly configured resolver. One of the key features of Google Public DNS is it provides correct result every time you search for something.
HOW TO USE GOOGLE PUBLIC DNS?
Before you Start be sure to write down the current sever address on a paper. It’s important to keep those number backup, in case you need to revert anytime.
Google Public DNS addresses (IPv4) are:
Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses are
DNS settings are specified in the TCP/IP Properties window for the selected network connection.
- Go to Control Panel of your PC.
- Click Network and Internet>>Network and Sharing Center>>Change adapter Setting.
- Select the connection for which you want to set Google Public DNS. For example:
- To change the settings for an Ethernet Connection, right click on the Local Area Connection>
- To change the settings for a wireless connection, right click Wireless Network Connection>
- In the Networking tab select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)and then click
- Click Advanced then select DNS See if there any IP addresses available write them down too for future references.
- Now you will just need to Click on Ok button.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server write them down for future references.
- Replace those addresses with the Google DNS Server IP addresses
- For IPv4: 188.8.131.52 and/or 184.108.40.206
- For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844
- Next is you will need to Click on Ok button.
- Restart the connection you selected in step 3.
- Test that your connection is working properly. Click on this Link to check it out.
- Repeat this procedure for additional network connection you want to change.
So here is the guide on how to use Google Public DNS on your Computer to get high speed Internet.